Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Remember

I was chatting with one of my best friends the other day about Sean flying helicopters. She asked if it made me scared/nervous. It was weird actually, as I had never really thought of it like that. I guess learning to fly a helicopter isn't exactly like learning to drive a car, but that's sort of where my mind sends it. Though, I will clarify, I am MUCH more proud to of my husband for his ability to learn to fly an aircraft (in a matter of weeks, mind you), than I would be of him learning to drive a vehicle.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm surrounded by aviator spouses who aren't worried or nervous. Maybe it's because he's learning with an instructor pilot by his side. Maybe it's because he's not going to war right now, he's just learning. Most likely, all of those, and the fact that I really don't have the time or emotional capacity to worry. Yes, I pray every day. I tell him to be safe, and I wish him luck. But very rarely during the day does the thought of him being in a "dangerous position" even cross my mind.

At first, I felt a little guilty about that. Should I be the one worrying about him? That's my job right? But the more I thought about it, the more sense it made. My job is to worry, sure. But my job is also to do all of the other things he needs me to do, like take care of our daughter, make sure he has clean laundry, healthy food, and time and space to study. Me worrying would enable me to do those things to the best of my ability.


Then I stumble on an article about a UH-60 (Blackhawk) crash in Afghanistan today. It sort of hit me. Not that i should be worried about Sean right now (though, maybe I should be a little more). But what happens in a year when we are at a new duty station, and he is sent to fly in an actual dangerous, threatened -by-enemy location? That thought took me straight to prayer. For him, for his future, and for all the aviators who are currently deployed and in harms way.

There is SO much commotion about stupid politics, stupid pay cuts, stupid government, that VERY little attention was given to the sacrifice that these 5 soldiers gave today, THEIR LIVES.Our country is so sad and out of control. These soldiers had families. Families who sit at home in disgust over how the hub-bub in the media of how their benefits are being taken away from them, only to loose their loved one to an ungrateful nation. It is SO incredibly sad. My heart breaks for them.

Remembering them today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment