Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Commissary Groceries

So, I don't know about most of you, but moving costs for us go much deeper than paying the movers, staying at a hotel, etc...You really almost have to start over with your pantry and definitely fridge and freezer. So, our last few grocery bills have been pretty expensive. Plus, all of the little extra things we get like light bulbs, hooks, cleaning products, etc. So anyway, this week I made a nice grocery list with several dinners planned and upwards of 6-9 healthy crockpot meals to prepare and freeze (http://mamaandbabylove.blogspot.com/2011/04/freezer-cooking-with-slow-cooker.html). 
Most of the ingredients are just veggies and meat. If you've ever been to a commissary, you realize how cheap meat is there! It's AWESOME! For instance, 3 large chicken breast that cost over $5-6 at Walmart or Kroger (or Bi-Low, which is our new Sumter equivalent to Kroger) cost about $3-4 at the commissary. So, I figured our bill would be under $100, which is about what we expect and budget. I know we could do a little better than that, but I haven't really figured out a good way to yet, so until I do this fits us. Anyway, we came left the commissary with a $130 bill. I was surprised....maybe the super amount of veggies we had this week added up? I mean, we did buy about 7 peppers, which are a little pricey...I WISH we had a good farmers market around for the produce! But, anyway...When we got home I realized the meat we got for a new corned beef and cabbage recipe that we want to try was $20! I didn't even look at the price. Actually, I sent Sean to find it because I wasn't really sure what I was looking for (and I don't really enjoy staring at raw meat for very long..ew). So.....needless to say, 1) I need to pay more attention to prices while I'm at the store, and 2) we prooooobably won't be making this recipe again :) 

Oh, one more thing....I absolutely despise shopping at the commissary! I need to find a time where NO ONE is there! But, this week we happened to go at the absolute worst time of day and I came out with a horrible attitude. People are so inconsiderate, slow and rude! Admittedly, not as bad as Sumter Walmart (way more rude ppl), but this Commissary is pretty small and there are always a lot of elderly people there who apparently don't think to push their cart to the side of the aisle while they spend 10 minutes comparing chicken noodle soup, and also can't really hear you when you say "excuse me". I get easily irritate while grocery shopping, but ya...anyway.

the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment