I would love to use cloth diapers for the positives (less expensive in the long run (?), better for the environment), but what about the negatives? How do you keep up with an infant wearing cloth diapers?? That's like 10-15 diaper changes a day, so do you buy a bazillion cloth diapers? Or do you wash them every day?? I'm thinking you'd have to buy a lot because I do not like doing more than one load of laundry a day. I know that will have to change when she gets here, but add her clothes and a load of cloth diapers and inserts (which I'm pretty sure have to be washed with a special detergent and the diapers line dried) and that's a lot of extra work. So is it worth it?? I've met quite a few wives at this base who use them and love them. So I think I'm going to do a little more investigating. I have taken a $3 off coupon to Walmart a couple times (I got about 5 of them in our newborn care classes) and every time, just looking at the cost of diapers kind of stresses me out. One pack that I buy, after coupon, for $6 will last me two-three days. TWO-THREE DAYS?! Seriously?! That's $2-3 a day on diapers alone. I did a couple minutes of looking around at cloth diapers tonight, and it seems the most highly rated ones range from about $12-30 for 6 diapers without inserts. So, I'd need at least two sets for one day. Let's say I get a weeks worth....that's about $280. Uhm, we do not have that kind of money right out of pocket. Let's compare disposables for a week...that's about $21 (ish). Multiply that by a month and then 12 months, and it's over $1000!
Anyway.....I'm going to ask some of the ladies how they use them, which ones they use, how many, how much, etc.....and see what I think, and then talk to Sean about it!
UPDATE (12/8):
Reviews for these are by far one of the best, but they are a little pricey. Maybe they would be good to have a couple for night time or day trips? Found them on Zulily for $8 off too! I think I need to order 2-3 before the sale ends!
Fuzzibuns
These were recommended (by friends, and have good reviews) and are fairly priced:
Kawaii
$9.20 each or $52 for 6 (save .40 each)
includes 2 inserts eachthis is one that got really good reviews, and I've heard people talking about:
Sun baby diapers website
And these are some examples of the diapers....then you get the inserts too.
Cloth Diaper LLC Website
They carry the Papoose diaper which is very highly rated. I think it's $10 each.
Here's another brand called Gro-Via.They are $23 each and you use inserts which are actually disposable. They are $10 for 200.
These do not grow with baby, so you have to buy different sizes. They are $18 each and the liners are washable and are $27 for 6.
Here is my message I posted on the Wives of Shaw page (so I can remember my q's and answer them):
I have some questions about cloth diapers! I would love to use them, but I feel like I may be too lazy :/ I realize the benefits of course and am just wondering about the cons and to clarify some things. So....how many do you need? I'm thinking A LOT unless you want to wash them daily. But then again, you don't want to wait too long, so how often do yall wash yours? Do you have to use a special kind of detergent? If so, where do you get it and how much does it cost? When you change a diaper, what do you do with it? I have this image of throwing it in a basket or something and the whole room stinking until you was them! lol One thing that concerns me most is BM's in cloth diapers. I know that's kind of dumb, but what do you do with the residue? Do you have to like take it to the bathroom and dump it? Or do you dump it in like a diaper genie?? And what about when you're out? I know Krystal makes her own wet bags, which is actually what kind of got me interested in using cloth, so do you just keep them in the bag, and then clean it all when you get home? Does it stink? Lastly, which kinds do yall use? why? where do you get them? I've hear a lot of reviews, so I'm just kind of wondering yalls preference. Sorry if I sound really ignorant about this topic....I am! But I'm really looking into it with interest, so you've got to give me that ;)
Anyway, I'll definitely be updating and I'm tagging this specifically as diapering so I can keep track of it.
Oh, and someone posted this to my cousin's page (she is also looking for cloth diaper advice. Although, I think she is completely decided on it already).Cloth Diaper blog
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








I ONLY hear good things about doing cloth diapers. I've considered the switch, buuuut I REALLY like disposable diapers lol.
ReplyDeletewell, I think after three kids it would be pretty hard to switch! It's going to be a lot of work, but I just feel like it's one way I can help us save money, even if it won't be immediate.
ReplyDelete