Wednesday, May 9, 2012

1st Plane ride with baby

Here's the whooooole story. 

I'll admit...I was pretty darn nervous to fly across the country with my 3 1/2 month old baby. I am up for a lot of things, and I don't keep her trapped at home, but the thought of driving 2 hours to the airport, 3 hour plane flight, layover and another 3 hour flight just didn't strike me as appealing in any way. Thankfully, I have an Army Wife friend who has been flying with her daughter since she was born, all across the country and world, and she gave me SOOOO many pointers. I felt as prepared as I could be. But after I said goodbye to Sean at security, I started to panic just a little, and definitely almost cried. "How in the world am I suppose to get myself (take my boots off), Annabelle (take her out of the carseat), my backpack (take my laptop out), purse, carry on, car seat AND stroller gracefully through security all by myself!?!?!?" Well....I did it. Somehow, I managed. I definitely didn't hesitate to ask for help. One of the security guys folded up the stroller, and placed it and the carseat on the belt, as I walked through the metal detector with Annabelle, and he unfolded it on the other side for me. My friend had suggested putting Annabelle in my sling as I walked through so I could have both hands free. So, that was my plan. Until I realized my sling has giant metal rings on it!  lol oh well...

Now to the gate to board. By the way, we flew out of Charlotte, which is a pretty small airport. Not Charleston or Columbia small, but definitely smaller than ATL, Dallas, DC or Minneapolis. Minneapolis, just to note (and I definitely did not realize this before I was traveling with a baby), has the absolute WORST set up of any airport. But back to Charlotte....I got to the gate to chill out for a bit. She was hungry, but I really wanted to wait to nurse her until we were taking off, which ended up working out perfectly. When flying, especially when you have such long legs, you always hope you get an extra seat. Well, I was practically BEGGING God for one on this trip. hahaha I boarded first since I was "traveling with small children" and it honestly helped. I needed the extra time to get situated. Two more people came to my row. Boooo! But at least they were pretty small people. They both asked about Annabelle, and if this was our first flight and they got to talking about their kids....As we took off, I nursed Annabelle so her ears would pop, and then she fell asleep. Perfection. The flight was fine, definitely a little more uncomfortable with a baby on your lap, but not a big deal. I purposefully picked an aisle seat so I could walk around if I needed to.

As we were landing in Minniapolis, all three of us realized we had less than 50 minutes until our next flight left, so we were going to have to book it across the airport. After I came to grips with the fact that I wasn't going to be able to stop and pee, change Annabelle or grab some food (I hadn't eaten in about 7 hours at that point), I set my mind to finding my next gate as quickly as possible. I put my purse in my back pack and put it on, put the sling over that and put Annabelle in it, and grabbed my carry on. The guy in our row had downloaded some airport/Delta app, and told us which gates we all needed to get to, do I didn't even have to stop outside the plane and ask or figure it out....I just started walking as fast as I could. Seriously!? My next gate HAD to have been about 2 miles away. I was at one end of terminal G, and needed to go to the completely opposite end of terminal F. I practically ran.....I WISH someone could have filmed it...Here's this rather tall lady, in cowboy boots, sweating, panting, and awkwardly walk/running all while talking to her baby and telling her "I don't think we're going to make it!" lol I see the terminal ahead, check my watch and realize I have about 10 minutes to board. Just then I hear over the intercom, "Delta passenger from Charlotte, please come back to gate G# to get your stroller and carseat" I just stopped. Total defeat. I look around at the people hurrying from my plane with me, and say, "that has to be me". One guy, in his Army dress blues (tool), goes, "yep, you better hurry" Seriously? No, I think I'll take my time. Thanks for the heads up bro....I'm about to miss my friggin' flight. I'm in tears now, and run over (actually more like jump in front of) one of those airport golf cart vehicle thingy's and ask her to take me back to the gate to get the stroller and explain I'm about to miss my flight. She was SO helpful, and I'm pretty sure ran over a few people to get me there and back with ALL of my belongings. WHEEEEEEW! Poor Annabelle. lol She was just strapped to my chest the whole time, and didn't make a sound.

BARELY made it. I still haven't peed, changed Annabelle or eaten, by the way. I must have looked just as frazzled as I felt because the guy behind me asks, "do you need a hand? I'll help you...with anything...just let me know" and the lady across the aisle held out her hands and said, "here let me take her (Annabelle) so you can get situated". I went and changed her in the bathroom...thank GOD for being on a newer Delta plane with a changing table in the bathroom. Then asked the flight attendant to hold her while I went to the bathroom. Sat down just in time, aaaand what do you know, an empty seat in my row. THANK.YOU.JESUS. I nursed her on the way up again, and then layed her down in the empty seat and she happily plaid for about an hour and then just fell asleep. *siiiiiiigh* my sweet sweet baby. I can't even imagine how much more stressful that would have been if she was screaming and crying.




We landed in Oregon and I literally sighed with relief. No hurrying, no worries, just had to get out to my family, and I'd be just fine. My dad, mom, brothers and sister-in-law were all there to pick us up! Annabelle stayed asleep the whole way out there and almost made it all the way back to Tigard, including a Taco Bell pit stop for me, before she started fussing.

First time meeting Uncle Donny :)




No comments:

Post a Comment