I FINALLY saved up enough to buy my new camera!!! WOO WOO!
Wouldn't you like to read, "long story short..."? Too bad. You're getting the longer than long story - as usual. :D
shoooooooo...
I bought a little point-and-shoot last year to replace the POS 5mpx + broken zoom point and shoot that I had. I went with a Nikon basically to try something different. It's alright. But I can now say that I definitely prefer a Canon to a nikon (as far as point and shoots are concerned). Anywho...This purchase was a) to have a better point-an-shoot and b) to hold me over until I could afford a DSLR. Well, and c) because, as advised my good friend and professional photographer Amy, you always went an easy, go-to, light/small camera for every day use. Totally right. But I ALSO want something a little more challenging, bigger/heavier/bulkier and nicer for those special occasions! ;)
This is totally an unnecessary thing for me to own. I don't want to start up a photography business, I don't necessarily want it to be a "hobby", and I don't need pictures of random scenes, plants or animals. I just want a fun, useful, good quality camera to capture moments in my families life. I want to look at the pictures I take and be happy with them. I love pictures (uh-duh) and have every desire and intention to learn the proper way to use a DSLR to it's fullest potential to get some awesome photos.
SO...... ( I promise I will try to keep my "so's" to a minimum - two's good, right?)
The Canon Rebel T3i, that I've had my eye on, went on sale this week! The T4i came out, so I'm guessing that is the cause for the sudden sale. Regardless, I was excited to hear that, and asked Sean if it was a good time to buy. You see.....we used most of the cash from my "camera fund" envelope for the random times when we needed cash (since neither of us seem to ever have any!). I wrote down every dollar we took out though, so it was still accounted for ;) I ended up with $118 cash, but over $500 saved. Pause. ya.......not sure how that happened either.
Anyway, Sean said okay, so I asked my photog friends a few questions, and headed off to the PX to buy my new camera, tax free! WOOO! I was so excited as I walked in..I felt like a kid walking into a toy store, with all his birthday money in hand. But.....dun dun dun. THEY WERE OUT! AHHHHH! nooooo!!!!!! All my hopes and dreams!
Okay.....it wasn't that dramatic or devastating, but it was a little defeating. So, I did what any disappointed person would do in such circumstance; I went to Burger King.
After filling up on saltless fries (yuck) and a coke (which I DEFINITELY didn't need at 7pm!), I pulled out my laptop and did some more research. I figured I could find a good deal on my T3i and have shipped to my front door by the weeks end.
After a couple of hours of research I realized something. First, the camera I want to buy is the looooowest quality, and cheapest DSLR out there. This actually makes me feel good about my choice because a) that means I will likely be able to learn how to use it quickly, and b) I won't be spending thousands of dollars to get the "good quality photos of my family" that I've been talking about. I'll save those thousands-of-dollar cameras for those who actually make money on their photos. And if I end up wanting "something better" in the future, I will have had a starting point in my knowledge and skill. To me, that all makes total sense. The second thing I found is that the T3i and T2i models have two differences; the T3i has better video stuff, and a cool pop out, 3in LCD monitor (picture viewer thingy), and the T2i doesn't. Hmmmm......Thoooose two things just don't really matter all that much to me. The thing that does matter to me is that I am able to afford the camera with the stock lens (for whatever purpose), and a 50mm lens that was suggested to me for getting the photos I want. Therefore, I went with the T2i and was able to buy my extra lens. :D
In an effort to feel extra awesome about my purchases, I went through USAA to the Canon website, and got an extra 2 points/$1 using our credit card (BTW, Snapfish gives you TWELVE points per dollar going through USAA...TWELVE people. I'm SO sold). I also went with the free 5-8 day ground shipping. This means I won't get my bless-ed camera until NEXT week, BUT I actually ended up spending less money than I had saved in the first place. GO me! ;) Did I mention that I had already bought a camera strap from my favorite camera strap shop?! Yaaaaa. I couldn't wait! She was having an awesome sale! Check out Natalie's store. Natalie is one of Amy's older sister's who lives in GA. She is one of the most creative people I know, and everything she makes is awesome! I am still using a key ring wrist strap thingy that she made as baby shower gifts when Grayson was born! I LOVE it.
I digress..
In the end, it seems that the PX's lack of stock on cameras was a huge blessing to me. If they had it stocked last night, I would not have been able to get the lens I want, and I don't think I would have felt as good about my purchases.
Lastly, I AM SO FRIGGIN EXCITED!!!!!!!!
Last, (and most finally), this post also serves as a warning. I will be posting 21308375983 more pictures than normal, and you're all gonna love it! ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
lol I love this post, and I'm so glad I learned how to use a rebel, before getting my 7D, but another big plus is you'll never have to buy photos of your kids (only family pics that include you, which is a plus!) I think you'll LOVE it! I can already tell you do. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd don't worry too much about quality, just worry about getting the memories. Looking back at my old posts, the quality wasn't what I cared about (although good quality is a plus), it was the memories that made me smile. :)