Friday, August 2, 2013

Transition from 1 to 2 - What to expect? What to do?

I posted on my personal FB page earlier about "how prepared" I am for this second baby. Well, it's true....I am sooooo prepared. I have all her Newborn clothes ready (cleaned, hung and folded...and I'm pretty sure I even have her "coming home from the hospital" outfit picked out), we have a pack 'n' play, car seat, carrier, swing, boppy, passy's and blankets....seems we have it all! Mostly all hand-me-downs from Annabelle who will be 23 months older than Baby girl number 2.

Anyway....we have all the THINGS (minus a few I will probably wait until she gets here to decide on, like stroller), but what I'm starting to worry a little about is how it's going to WORK!?! I mean....I'm sure we'll just kind of figure it out, but I want to try and be a little more prepared.

What is the transition like? And how do the kids (toddler) react? Does the newborn sleep in our room or in another room, or with the toddler? I don't even have to ask if the toddler will get jealous. She will. That was made VERY clear after a couple weeks around her baby (9 month old) cousin.

I was hoping to get Annabelle into a big girl bed, and have her potty trained by the time this baby gets here (and still MAY), but I'm really not feeling it right now....I like having her in a crib. It's easier. She doesn't really show any interest or need to have more freedom (not crawling out or calling out in the night) and aside from every once and a while "telling" us when she's pee/pooping she doesn't show any interest in using her potty, and I do NOT want to push that too early (and I feel like it's too early for sure). But then if I do neither of those things, will she be mad when we give the baby her crib after she's born (in a few months)? Will it be harder to potty train her since the baby is being changed constantly, etc? Or just because we're exhausted/have less time to devote to it? Seriously....HOW would I potty train a toddler, while breast feeding a newborn, WHILE moving to a different state? So then, do I wait until she's like 3? That seems too long.

UgH! So many questions....

*sigh*

I assume they can't all really be answered, and that we'll just kind of have to wait and see. We still have 4 months. Things could really change in these months, as they do every month. Maybe Annabelle will (safely!) crawl out of her crib one night, and walk to the bathroom, climb up on the toilet and decide she's a "big girl". HAH! Maybe I'll be doing all of those things I mentioned at one time, while supporting my wonderful husband and trying to exercise and feed my family healthy food. Or maaaaybe, I'll hire a couple nanny's to do it for me. All of it. Minus the BFing. ;)

Time will tell! But until it does, I'll continue to share my thoughts about how I feel about this upcoming transition!



No comments:

Post a Comment