Thursday, August 29, 2013

Room Makeover - Guest Bathroom

Well, now I will go ahead and call it "the girls bathroom".

Up until this year started, the majority of the 2nd bathroom users were guests. I mean, we used it too, ya...but the shower was used by us only for giving the dog a bath, and then when we started bathing Annabelle in their regularly (we used our bathroom a lot before), and the rest of it mostly just stayed clean and tidy for guests. Now? Now.....it's Annabelle's bathroom. We haven't started potty training yet, but she has a little potty in there. She bathes in her tub every night. She brushes her teeth there. She washes her hands  in the sink. She looks in the mirror while we fix her hair. It's hers :) And that's cool.

Well, it was decorated to please the adult eye (or hardly at all, really). I was going for a "beachy feel" at some point, but with a climby toddler, I had to take out nearly every single decoration to keep it safe. Hah! So, it just had a striped rug, shower curtain and towel, and a few mason jars with shells, that were on the top of a shelf (a shelf that turned into a ladder, and was removed from the room. bye bye mason jars).

This photo is after the ladder shelf was removed


I wanted something bright and fun for her (and baby girl #2), so I started pinteresting and looking around at stores. I really didn't want a "theme" (ie monkeys, ducks, owls, etc) like most stores offered...just like I didn't want that for her room. I'm just not a fan. What I came up with started with this photo of these Etsy printables.

Cute, right?? But, with a price tag of $42 for all three, and no good way to recreate them, I decided that if I was going to go with any theme, it would be sea animals, and would be fun and playful like this. So, I started looking for ideas....Then I started getting frustrated. Then, I decided the colors were enough, and I'd go with that :) 

I went to Target and got two rugs, and a hand towel. Actually, 3 rugs, but one is used in the reading corner of the playroom. I could have used any of them in the playroom and bathroom (can still switch out if I chose to). Then, at the good ol' Dollar Tree, I purchased a few frames. Headed to Walmart for another frame and some spray paint. I was looking for a circular frame, but they seriously don't sell those?! I was surprised too! Anywho...I got something else, and something oval shaped. 

I got to work on my projects, and then spent a couple hours over the computer looking for the perfect shower curtain. I.looked.everywhere. I thought.... After I had everything ready to go up in the bathroom, and no shower curtain, I got on walmart.com to see if maybe they just had a solid colored curtain. just....SOMETHING! What did I find instead?! This PERFECT colored, polka dot shower curtain for under $20, AND it was in stock at my nearest Wally world. Hallllelujah! 

My projects {and costs}

*Stool - $10. Found this at a (*ahem*ghetto) flea market in town, and he saaaaaid he was "practically giving it to me" at $10. Whatever...I know flea markets, and sales, and I know $10 is good and fine, but nothing spectacular. I wasn't about to argue with him though. He frightened me. And seeing as it was just he, another guy, Annabelle and I there....I figured unless he said $20 I'd buy it haha. A good sand, a fresh coat (2 prime, and one top) of paint, and a little shiny seal, and voila! Unfortunately, it's still a little too low for Annabelle to reach the sink. But I use it to sit while giving her a bath right now, and it's working much better than the chair or toilet I was using before (since I was having to bend over....and bending over is not really comfortable with this 14 inch baby growing inside of me!). 




*BATH Letters - $9. I actually had purchased these from Hobby Lobby several months ago, and was going to use them for this bathroom for a "beachy" project. Glad I didn't! They were on sale, so $1.25 each. I glanced through the paper I have (which I have quiiiiiiite a bit of, if you've ever seen my stash), and nothing really caught my eye as matching, but I seriously didn't search. I grabbed a few matching sheets while I was at Michael's. They weren't on sale. LAME. Sidenote: it always happens that way! Ribbon, baskets, wood crafts and baskets all go on sale at craft stores. But it seems whenever I need ribbon, paper is on sale, and whenever I need paper, baskets are on sale! hmph! I should pay more attention. Anyway, they were $.69 each. Traced the letters onto the paper, cut them out, mod podged them onto the wood (or not so wood....more like particle board?) letters, and bam. cute bath letters. Since they're so thin, I didn't even paint the sides of the letters. If they were thicker, I would have added that step before painting. 




*Frames - $10. ish. One frame was from Walmart, so wasn't just a buck. Got a small can of pink spray paint for a few dollars, and only did one coat to each. I'd say they turned out pretty darn well! I had the photo of Daddy and baby walking on the beach printed for $1.59 (I think) at Wally, and made my own "brush your teeth"/"wash your hands" printable. The other paper I already had on hand. 


*Hand print Fish art - $1.50. I think. The little oval wood plaque was the only cost there, and I can't remember if it was .99 or 1.99. I painted it blue, painted Annabelle's hand orange and white, smashed her little pudgy painty hand down, and blegh....it was a mess. HAH! the colors just smeared together and it hardly resembled a fish. During her nap, I added another layer of paint over the messy smeary handprint, and I think it turned out alright. Then outlined, and gave the fish a face. I'm thinking some coral would be cute too, but I was too anxious to have it all up! :D

*Rugs - 2/$9.99.

*Hand towel - $2.99

*Shower Curtain - $16.99

For a grand total of $68.96! 

A complete bathroom makeover for under $70! Not too bad. 


The only thing, at this point, I would love to add is some paint, but that will definitely wait until we move. No sense in painting with only 5 months left here :) I'm thinking using the Green color....but, we'll see.




Here are a couple before and after shots:
















No comments:

Post a Comment