Thursday, November 3, 2011

Missed Flight

oh my goodness, this has got to be the most frustrating things ever!!

I would wait to write this until I catch up on the last couple weeks, but I'm bored, frustrated, and just need to vent. Oh, and I have the next eight hours to spare :)

I've never experienced missing a flight, but this is just SO ironic it's amazing. First of all, Sean's dad wanted to leave at 5am from Portland to get us to Seattle early. Well, that really would have got us here by about 9:30 (at the latest) and our flight didn't leave until 1:15. So, we compromised and finally agreed on 6:30. We ended up leaving around 7, stopped at Starbucks, stopped 3 times for bathroom and coffee breaks, and still got here by about 10:30. Perfect timing. We ate breakfast at this nice restaraunt across from the airport called 13 coins and then had ample time to check in, get through security and make our flight. Well, we decided to hang out a bit longer and play cards with his parents before going through security. Nbd..the line was super short and we still had about an hour. After saying goodbye, we got through security, made it to our terminal and stopped to get some meds for my sinuses (really wanted to take something before we took off!). That line was annoyingly long, so by that time we were actually hurrying. We had about 17 minutes until our flight was scheduled to leave, so I quickly went to the bathroom and got down there to meet Sean who had THE WORST NEWS....they had already closed the door to the plane. I looked at the board and it said flight to Atlanta scheduled to leave at 1:11. Not, 1:15, like our boarding passes said.....ora maybe they didn't. Now I don't even know. Anyways, we literally missed our flight by about 2 minutes. Sean watched the doors shut. Seriously!? That shouldn't have happened....there's just no way. UGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Tears. Poured.

Then I remembered how much crap I was giving his sister last night about her missing her flight, and how I would never do that....bla bla bla....Really, this shouldn't have happened, but it did. Now I know how she feels...and I feel so bad for teasing her about it so much! Only, I'm pretty sure she got MUCH luckier than we did when it came to getting re-booked on a flight. We are now sitting in the USO (which is actaully pretty nice) waiting until 12:50am to board our new flight....ELEVEN HOURS LATER....wow. We had the perfect flight time, directly from SEA->ATL, and the perfect seats....now we're waiting around for the next 8 hours to get on a flight that will take us to Minnesota and then get to Atlanta tomorrow at around 11am. Then, to get the dogs, pack the car and head home to South Carolina. That's about 36 hours of traveling. I think I'll sleep till Monday.

But seriously, thank God for the USO. I didn't want to call any friends who live close because I know they are all kind of sick, and it's about an hour away from their houses, Sean's parents were already well on their way back to Portland, and there's really nothing within walking distance of the airport. When I realized all of this tears poured again. lol Then Sean suggested we just go hang out at the USO. I haven't been able to get the wi-fi working on my laptop, but I'm using one of the computers they have for right now. I've enjoyed a brownie, chips, and banana, and think I'll have a sandwich here in a minute. This is just such a blessing for us today! There's a mom sleeping in the "family room" with her baby, several toddlers walking around with their parents, a few guys (including Sean) sprawled out on the couch sleeping, and some others playing on the computers. They have bathrooms, showers, food, couches....it just makes for a lazy day really. That's how we're trying to think of it now that I'm done (well, for now anyway :) melting down about how crazy this day turned out to be.

Annnnnnnnnnyway, I've learned my lesson. I really feel like this was karma, or God's funny way of proving a point to me about being nice or understanding or something? Whatever it was...I get it! And We won't be cutting it QUITE so close from now on. SERIOUSLY all it would have taken was waiting to use the bathroom till I boarded. UGH!
lol okay, I'm done.

2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh!! How horrible! Tears are totally understandable - I would have cried too. I'm glad you guys got home safely and I'm excited to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. And when I was done I would've booked a flight to the bahamas instead of home just to mend my shattered soul.

    ReplyDelete